Google Expeditions is an excellent app for giving students a virtual reality experience, allowing students to visit and experience new places and locations. This activity takes students on a virtual field trip through six different ecosystems. This resource was developed as a part of the Creating Lessons Using Transformative Technology - Platteville Public Schools OER Grant.
Meet the Tiny Earth Network, which discovers new antibiotics through the soil; and students do the hunting!
On this lab’s page you will find:
• A video with a personal story that explains why the lab's research matters in real-life
• A video that centers youth voice with students asking questions directly to the lab researchers
• Discussion prompts to go with both of the videos
• An activity in the form of a slide deck and data sheet that focuses on teaching real-life scientific practices used in the lab
• A card activity designed to introduce students to scientists in a more personal way
• An educator guide featuring many more ideas for activating the media in the classroom
Meet the Lab is a collection of educational resources for middle school science classrooms, and a collaboration between PBS Wisconsin Education, Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, Wisconsin Alumni Research Association, and the Morgridge Institute for Research.
This collection introduces students to relevant real-world issues, cutting edge research, and the human element—the people working together to research, innovate, and solve problems using science.
The collection supports national and state science standards, and creates opportunities for learners to develop their STEAM identity (“Who do I think I am, who can I be, where do I belong?” in context of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math).