- Students will read and discuss the legends of three inseparable sisters, corn, bean, and squash, who only grow and thrive together. This relates to the tradition of interplanting corn, beans, and squash in the same mounds, which is widespread among Native American farming societies. It is a sustainable system that provided long-term soil fertility and a healthy diet for generations. The students will also develop an understanding of symbiotic relationships found between organisms living in the same ecosystems.
- Remix of:
- Connect, Explore, Engage Template
- English Language Arts, Environmental Literacy and Sustainability
- Lower Primary, Upper Primary
- Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 4, Grade 5
- Material Type:
- Activity/Lab, Unit of Study
- Sandy Benton, Beth Hoagland, Erika Suo
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
- Media Format:
- Graphics/Photos, Text/HTML
No evaluations yet.
Add important feedback and this resource.