Investigating Jobs in the Healthcare Industry
ACP Lesson Plan
|Title: Investigating Jobs in the Healthcare Industry||Author: Lara J. Nichols|
|Subject(s): High School Science|
|Grade Level(s): 10-12||Total Time: Three 45-minute class periods|
Overview / Description:
Students will collaborate in small groups to come up with a list of careers within the hospital setting. Lists will be shared out as a class, with each student then choosing one job with which to create a Google slide presentation. Ideally, this would follow the How to Become a Clinical Laboratory Scientist lesson plan found in WISELearn.
After completing this activity, students should be able to . . .
- Work in a small group as well as individually to create a list, followed by a presentation
- Research and compile information in the following areas:
- The amount of school/ training needed for their chosen job
- The typical work day for this job, including what hours are worked on shift
- The current job market for that job, here in NE Wisconsin
- Pay scale for this job
- Opportunities for advancement within the career
Workplace Readiness Skill:
|X||Attitude and Initiative||X||Planning and Organization|
Wisconsin Common Career Technical Standards:
CD3.a.12.h - Evaluate changes in local, national and global employment trends, societal needs, and economic conditions related to career planning.
CD3.b.5.h - Evaluate the relationship between educational achievement and career development.
Wisconsin Model Standards for School Counseling: (Career Domain)
Standard G: Students will acquire the self-knowledge necessary to make informed career decisions.
Standard H: Students will understand the relationship between educational achievement and career development.
Healthcare careers videos from YouTube:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3cLMA-7CI (Surgical Technologist);
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mYftV3X69o (Job roles for Hospital Administrator);
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bncXudYhfLU (Radiology Tech Q&A);
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WPix2lbp64 (Should you become a Physical Therapist Assistant?);
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N52bCtKhK8g (What you NEED to know before deciding to become a nurse);
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zm0HvDRjpU (What is a Medical Laboratory Scientist?);
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5QrsD9ypbA (Paramedics, AEMT & EMT; Differences, Job duties/ Requirements)
Individual Chromebooks or similar; access to the internet;
Investigating Jobs in the Healthcare Industry student handout
WHO (T=Teacher Focus Lesson; WG=Whole Group\; SM=Small Group; I=Independent)
|Learning Activity Task||WHO is responsible |
for this step?
|Approximate time |
|Introduction to Healthcare Careers|
Teacher can introduce the lesson in a number of ways:
* Ask students to think about a time when they or someone they know was admitted to the hospital, and who they saw working there at the time;
* Lead a class brainstorming session on health care careers
* Have a health care guest speaker discuss their job and other careers they come in contact with
|Think/ Pair/ Share - In small groups, have students come up with a list of possible careers in the healthcare industry.||Small Groups||10 minutes|
|Whole Group Discussion: Teacher will lead a discussion regarding the lists that each group has come up with. Teacher should be prepared to lead the students into thinking "outside of the box" conversation. What other places might you see a health care worker? What populations might they work with?||Teacher Led||10 minutes|
|Students should turn to Xello, along with the videos linked above, for additional career research. Each student will choose a career to investigate following the directions in the Student Handout (linked above), either from the list generated in class or found on Xello, or any other teacher-approved job with which to create a Google Slides presentation.||Students||15 minutes|
|Students will have work time on their Google slide presentations, completing the notes on Page 2 of the Student Handout. Each presentation should cover:||Students||1-45 min class|
Students will present their Google slide presentations on their chosen careers:
- Formative: Following all student presentations, there will be peer review and time for revision before turning in final draft.
- Summative: Final Health Career Presentation (teacher grade)
Close out this activity as a means to bounce to lessons from the NIH on emerging and re-emerging diseases & disease control
Extension Activity (for intervention or enrichment):
An excellent extension activity would be for interested students to schedule a job shadow opportunity at HSHS St. Clare in Oconto Falls or another hospital facility in their area.